Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Midwife's Daughters

It's nice to read a children's book about midwives. In this book the midwife has 5 daughters that wash the town nappies and care for the mums for 3 weeks after their baby is born. Loved the story. The only issue some might have is that the husband went off to work and came back at the end of the day to his wife and new baby girl. I didn't find it offensive given the time period. Also, it did seem to give it a very strong feminine feel through the book of women helping women. Most birthing stories have a strong family center and this was more women focused. The illustrations were a bit crazy looking but appealing in a playful sort of way. I can't find any photo of the book online but one search led to another and now I'm interested in reading other books by the same author.

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE2113b.htm

2 comments:

Mom of a bunch of great kids... said...

How interesting! Sounds like a great story. I wonder if I can find it here.

Denise said...

I can't even find it here except for the library copy. I am hoping to find the authors email somewhere so I can contact her direct. Here's a nice link that you might find interesting.
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/books.html